How can you inform if a person isn’t from the South? They examine the call of this recipe and ask, “what's a hummingbird cake?” well, hummingbird cake is a very dense and wet layer cake with banana, pineapple, and heat spices, covered with swirls of rich cream cheese frosting and crunchy toasted pecans on top.
In case you’ve by no means had it but you’re a fan of banana cake, pineapple upside-down cake, or carrot cake you’re going to be very well charmed with the aid of our less difficult-than-you’d-count on hummingbird cake recipe.
But why is it certainly known as a hummingbird cake? The story behind the call is about as nuanced as the cake’s fruity, spiced, and tropical taste. maybe it’s because the cake is as sweet because the nectar that hummingbirds drink. perhaps it’s due to the fact everyone who takes a chunk will definitely hum with joy. perhaps it’s due to the fact humans make a beeline to this pineapple banana cake as fast as hummingbirds flock to the feeder.
But remember, absolutely everyone on the receiving give up of a home made hummingbird cake is virtually no longer going to care if it doesn’t look best. true to its name, people will be hovering round this cake like hummingbirds to plant life.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1⅓ cups vegetable oil
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups very ripe banana, mashed (about 4 medium bananas or 16 ounces)
- 1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple (or fresh chopped pineapple)
- 2 cups toasted chopped pecans, divided
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 (8 oz) packages of cream cheese, softened
- ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F/a hundred seventy five°C.
- Grease and flour three eight-inch cake pans.
- In a big bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and baking soda.
- Upload the eggs, sugar, vegetable oil, buttermilk, and vanilla extract, and stir simply until the dry elements are moistened.
- Stir inside the mashed bananas, overwhelmed pineapple, and one cup of chopped pecans, and stir simply until flippantly combined.
- Divide the batter calmly among your three coated cake pans (approximately 22 oz. per pan). Bake for 25 – half-hour, or till a toothpick or cake tester inserted within the center comes out clean. Cool the desserts in the pans for 10 minutes, after which eliminate them from the pans and switch them to cord racks to cool absolutely.
- Make the cream cheese frosting: beat collectively the butter, cream cheese, and salt with a hand mixer till smooth and creamy. steadily add within the powdered sugar on low speed, until it's far all included. Whip in the vanilla extract.
- Enhance the cake: if desired, use a serrated knife to trim off the rounded tops of every cake to lead them to level. (if you don’t want to do that, you can also simply fill inside the gaps with extra frosting.) location the primary layer of cake on a serving plate or cake adorning turntable, and unfold the pinnacle of the first layer with approximately ¼ of the frosting. flip the second layer of cake upside-down (so you have a nice flat floor for frosting), and area it on pinnacle of the primary frosted cake layer. Frost it with about any other ¼ of the frosting. vicinity the remaining cake layer, upside-down, on pinnacle of the second one frosted cake layer. cover the whole cake with the final frosting. Sprinkle the ultimate chopped pecans over the pinnacle of the cake. Refrigerate until prepared to serve.