What inspired me to transform a pie for 10 humans into 10 non-public pies. even as sharing can be worrying, it additionally occurs to be impairing … to pleasurable my candy teeth.
The dough enveloping this mix of tart apples and candy, salted caramel is part puff pastry, part pie dough. So whilst there’s simply sufficient butter to shape flaky layers of pastry, there’s additionally a bit of sour cream to assure moisture.
Excellent of all, the recipe yields a gasp pastry-like equivalent sans the hours of thrashing, folding and rolling required of the real deal.
These apple hand pies can be as rustic or delicate as you preference. No cookie cutter? No problem! Use a sharp knife or glass to reduce out particular (or no longer-so-unique) circles, squares, triangles or every other shape that fits your fancy.
FOR THE DOUGH:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup cold sour cream
FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 cups small diced (peeled) Granny Smith apples
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 8 store-bought soft caramels, roughly chopped
- Egg wash (1 egg lightly whisked with 1 Tablespoon water)
- Large flake sea salt
- Crystal sanding sugar (optional)
MAKE THE DOUGH:
- Whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Add the cubed butter to the bowl and use your hands to paintings the butter into the flour till the aggregate is the consistency of wet sand.
- Stir in the sour cream (the dough might be very moist), after which flip the dough out onto a properly-floured work surface.
- Knead the dough a few times until it comes together, including extra flour, 1 teaspoon at a time, if the dough is simply too sticky to address. Roll the dough into an 8x10-inch rectangle and dirt both facets with flour before folding it into thirds as in case you were folding a letter.
- Rotate the dough 90º and roll it out once more into an 8x10-inch rectangle. Fold the dough once more into thirds then wrap it securely in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for as a minimum 30 minutes at the same time as you're making the filling.
MAKE THE FILLING:
- In a small bowl, combine the apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, sugar and flour, stirring till very well blended. Set aside.
BRING TOGETHER THE PIES:
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Get rid of the dough from the fridge and spread it onto a properly-floured surface, rolling it out to a 14x14-inch square.
- The usage of a three-inch round cookie cutter or cup, cut out as many circles as possible. Re-roll the scraps and retain slicing out circles until you run out of dough, making sure you become with an excellent quantity of circles. (You should have about 20 three-inch circles.)
- Place six of the dough circles on a Silpat or parchment paper-covered cookie sheet. Spoon a small portion of the apple filling into the middle of every circle, leaving enough of a border around the filling. pinnacle the apple filling with a part of the chopped caramels and a pinch of sea salt. area a 2d dough circle atop every crammed circle then use a fork to crimp the edges collectively, sealing each pie.
- Brush every pie with the egg wash, and the use of a sharp knife, reduce two or 3 vents at the top of every pie. Sprinkle the pies with crystal sanding sugar (optionally available).
- Bake the pies for about 15 minutes, or till they're golden brown.
- Take away the pies from the oven and allow them to relaxation for 10 mins before serving. Repeat the filling and baking process with the closing dough circles.