These frosted sugar cookie bars are soft, chewy, and crowned with creamy vanilla buttercream. And sprinkles of path!
I’ve been dying to make sugar cookie bars with mild ‘n candy frosting for ages now! In all their tender-baked, mile excessive frosting, sprinkles-to-the-max goodness… i can surely say that those fascinating little treats were nicely well worth the wait. I suggest, just look at ’em.
These days’s recipe is as soft as my favored tender-baked cookie, as chewy as my favorite blondie, and as sprinkly as my complete cookbook. You’ll find sprinkles within the cookie bar base and on top of the frosting. Is there one of these element as too many sprinkles?
To make the cookie bars extremely chewy, I add an additional egg yolk. I try this with some of my cookie recipes due to the fact that little greater yolk provides a lot moisture, tenderness, and bite to the cookie. And it does the equal thing to the sugar cookie bar base in this recipe. You’re going to like their wealthy, smooth texture.
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk1
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups (190g) spoon & leveled all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (80g) rainbow sprinkles (not nonpareils)2
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 and 1/4 cups (270g) confectioners' sugar
- 3 Tablespoons (45ml) heavy cream or half-and-half3
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- salt, to taste
- food coloring for frosting (I used 1 drop red for this pink frosting)
- extra sprinkles for decorating on top
- Make the bars: Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, ensuring to depart enough overhang on the sides. Set apart.
- In a massive bowl the use of a mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the softened butter for approximately 1 minute on medium pace. Get it quality and smooth, then add the sugar on medium speed till fluffy and light in colour. Beat in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Scrape down the edges as needed.
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cornstarch. With the mixer walking on low velocity, slowly upload the dry components to the moist components in 3 special elements. The dough is pretty thick. as soon as combined, lightly fold in half cup sprinkles the usage of a rubber spatula (or by using blending on low velocity).
- Press the cookie dough flippantly into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 25-26 mins or until very gently browned on top. You need the cookie bars to be more gentle, so cautious not to overbake. allow the bars to cool absolutely on a twine rack at room temperature earlier than frosting. The center will slightly sink - this is regular.
- Make the frosting: in case you don't need a outstanding thick layer of frosting as pictured, halve the frosting recipe. With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy - approximately 2 minutes. upload confectioners' sugar, cream, and vanilla extract with the mixer walking on low. growth to excessive speed and beat for 3 complete minutes. add more confectioners' sugar if frosting is just too skinny or greater cream if frosting is simply too thick. upload a pinch of salt if frosting is simply too candy. I generally upload anywhere among 1/eight - 1/four teaspoon of salt. Beat in meals coloring, if using.
- Put off cooled bars from the baking pan using the aluminum foil overhang on the edges. Frost the bars with a thick layer of frosting and enhance with more sprinkles if favored. cut into squares. Use a very sharp knife and wipe off with a paper towel between every reduce to make neat, even cuts. shop bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days and within the refrigerator as much as five.